Monday 15 January 2007

A very good day...

Setting up a blog has taught me one thing, at least - if you are to make it worth visiting, one key thing you need to get right as its author is to make sure you've the time to update on some sort of regular basis.

I'm working really hard to fulfil my new year's resolutions. One was to set up a blog in the first place; another is to re-organise my life so that I have enough time to do things that will really add value to my health, wellbeing and karma in general. Trust me, this work is already underway, but I am acutely aware that despite having already ditched one major commitment that I, Jon Day, lead a very busy life.

This is all a very long winded way of saying "sorry!" for not having updated the site since my first post, but I hope those who read this will understand. Not to mention cut me a bit of slack whilst I try my hardest to make time for this venture!

Today, meanwhile, has been a fantastic day for me, for the following three (pictorial) reasons:








These are pictures of RAC patrolman Dave Goodall, who went the very definition of the "extra mile" to wade into flood water at New Buckenham, Norfolk, to rescue not only our member who called him out, but also two non-members - stripped down to his underpants!

As you'll know, my job is to generate publicity for the RAC through the media, and I'm lucky to have been successful in securing extensive national and local coverage through both the newspapers, TV and radio on the back of Dave's heroics.

The managing director of RAC is so pleased that she called my phone this evening to personally thank me, and assert that "this is the best PR I've ever seen". Those kind of moments don't come along too often, so I am feeling very proud and enjoying the moment immensely. It makes all the hard work worthwhile (and believe me, my phone didn't stop ringing all weekend with national press interest!!)

I had the pleasure of spending this morning with Dave, as we toured round filming news items and doing radio interviews, and can say that he is one of the most decent, genuine blokes I've ever met - modest to a tee, and so calm in the face of some daunting media work, completely different to what he's used to. It ain't easy the first time you do it, believe me...

So, it's been a good day!

If you are interested in reading a sample of the coverage, click on the following link:

http://www.radiobroadland.co.uk/distributor/Local_News/article/-/fbbc1121-32c4-4833-98bf-d2bbe81ccc84

Oh, and the one that particularly pleased Debbie, our MD at RAC (in which the AA, our main rivals are criticised, and us praised in the same article!!):

http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/topstories/tm_method=full&objectid=18470971&siteid=94762-name_page.html

Speak soon....




1 comment:

Balaji said...

Absolutely brilliant publicity for RAC.

Superb work Dave Goodhall, I am sure you are as humble as Jon has mentioned in his blog. This is an great example of going the extra mile. Superb.